In recent months we have been collating the offers being made at the intersection of wellbeing and social change at this time in a fortnightly blog. In this post we share resources to nourish our hopes and highlight beacons of inspiration and positive action as we navigate these times together.
This will be our last Wellbeing Together blog post of the summer, as we are taking some time over August to pause and reflect on how we can continue to connect, support and empower you to continue building wellbeing together.
Image credit: @BuddhaDoodles
“We cannot choose our external circumstances, but we can always choose how we respond to them.” – Epictetus
We are living in extraordinary times, and as we enter the second half of the year, we reflect upon this time of unprecedented challenge and change.
The events of the recent few months have shone an even brighter spotlight on the inequalities that are prevalent in society, but we’ve also heard incredible stories of hope and inspiration, resilience, solutions and progress. Throughout the crisis, we’ve seen an explosion of altruism, cooperation and togetherness. Many of us have been experiencing a greater sense of neighbourliness, and in these strange and unsettling times new friendships and communities have been stitched together.
Could it be true perhaps, that we are wired for kindness, and in adversity we reveal our true selves? And could a new future be written through our stories of resilience and the community actions we participate in – no matter how big or small? In this pivotal moment, we recognise the incredible potential for real and transformational change and of a future where everyone’s wellbeing needs can be met within the planet’s natural limits.
As we transition into August we feel the need for collective pause and reflection. We will be taking things at a slower pace next month, taking some time to reflect on our plans for the future and pausing our current offerings. We’ll be resting, taking time to be in nature and connecting with friends and loved ones.
We’ll be back in September to continue our webinar series and more ways for you to connect, learn and share on wellbeing. Keep your eyes peeled for more details on NOW’s events page and on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram.
Until then, below is our latest curation of support, responses, perspectives and events from across the globe.
- Catch up on our Wellbeing Together webinar series and explore how we can build wellbeing in our own lives, in our communities and in harmony with nature
- Join Shamash Alidina’s 30 day mindfulness challenge in August, to experience daily live guided meditations;
- Give yourself a summer of self-love and join Museum of Happiness co-founder Vicky Johnson for her weekly self-care club
- Join the 10 Days of Happiness free online coaching programme designed by our friends at Action for Happiness
- Start Mindfulness with The Heart Movement. Learn skills to respond to stress and uncertainty in a group setting with an experienced mindfulness facilitator
- Join the Outdoor Classroom Day Movement and discover resources to inspire outdoor play and learning
- Immerse yourself in the Hawkwood experience from the comfort of your own home! Join them for a unique mix of vibrant and stimulating courses with leading tutors: focus on your creativity, get involved with social change, reconnect with nature or reimagine your purpose with our action lab
- Discover 9 Essential Reads For Your Racial Justice Conversations.
Supporting Your Mental Health and Wellbeing:
- The Spiritual Talks Series with Satish Kumar: The Power of Generosity, Tuesday 14 September at 7:30pm.
- Watch the replay of our latest webinar, Creativity and Arts for Health and Wellbeing. Explore how creativity is an integral part of being well and being human and how even a brief amount of time spent on creative activities can have powerful benefits for personal wellbeing
- Bridging the digital divide: access some of the learnings from the latest webinar in The Campaign To End Loneliness’ series
- The coronavirus crisis has had a profound impact on the nation’s mental health, according to the charity Mind. Learn about the online groups that have been set up to provide emotional support in these testing times.
Finding New Perspectives:
- The campaign for a coronavirus recovery plan that builds back better. Dive into the conversation and call for the country to emerge from this crisis greener, stronger and fairer.
- Bridges to the Future: Reimagining Health and Social Care. Can we create a model of public service that is agile and resilient, able to cope with crises and meet the needs and expectations of today’s citizens?
- Building a Green Stimulus for Covid-19. A recovery plan for a greener, fairer future. Download the new report from New Economics Foundation (NEF).
Innovative Community Responses:
- The first-ever Community Business Festival: Thursday 13 to Friday 14 August. Tune in for a free, online, inspirational event showcasing the incredible community businesses around the country
- The Power of Sharing for Transforming Communities: Thursday 25 August at 7:30pm. Join us and Eden Project Communities to discover more about the global sharing movement and experiences gained from setting up the world’s first library of things
- Stir to Action’s online festival: streaming online from 01 to 03 September. Three days of inspiring conversations, interactive workshops, idea surgeries, virtual experiences and more!
- Building resilience in the community. Download the pandemic response report from Torbay Community Development Trust and learn more about a kindness asset based approach that engages vulnerable and isolated people
- How to keep volunteers happy and engaged. This guide is full of tips and advice from the team at Semble, using lived experience and practical advice from community projects
- From farm to fork: read about the open database that lets people buy food direct from source.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post; we hope you found it useful.
Please continue to share your wellbeing-related news and events with us using the hashtag #WellbeingTogether and tagging us on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram.
From all of us at the Network of Wellbeing, have a wonderful summer. We look forward to reconnecting with you in September.